Is age a measure of the ability to fall in love? No, I am not talking of the general ability of love, I'm talking of the ability to love a woman or vice-versa. May-December love stories is something of a taboo thought/concept in our society. The west is just marginally better off. The usual eyebrows are still raised though they perhaps take in their stride much better than they take it here.
For example, consider a 64 yr old man, chef by profession and a 34 yr old woman, software engineer (ah!! someone from my tribe!! :)). They meet, walk around, go for coffee, lunches... (may be a few dinners), have their share of suggestive talks and finally decide to marry. Now is the real trouble. How to tell their parents??? Yes!! our male protagonist's mother is still alive (and kicking!!). Mum gleefully agrees. Now for the lady's father. He being a regular guy, naturally is left aghast after coming to know that his daughter wants to get married to a man, 30 yrs older to her. How odd?? Is it not?? Are you thinking the same as the Dad. Well......... What follows is a show where the couple try and convince the father. Finally he relents. And thus the couple happily get to walk into the sunset together.
This in short is the gist of the recently released flick "Chini Kum", starring Amitabh Bachchan, Tabu, Zohra Sehgal and Paresh Rawal. Every bit a good flick. I found Big B portraying 64 yr old Buddhadev Gupta in a very convincing. A grumbling old man who doesn't believe in the usual ways of flattery nor perhaps courtship. Sample this:
- What's the point of giving flowers, they dry up after a few hours.
- A necklace though worth 25 lacs, might appear to be to worth 25/- without the price tag (thanks to fakes) and obviously cannot be gifted with the price tag.
- A sunset/candlelight dinner may sound very romantic, but neither would one be to able to figure out the other person nor the dinner.
Infallible logic!!! :D
On the other hand is 34 year old Nina Verma essayed by the elegant Tabu, who is every bit the modern working woman with a mind of her own - smart, confident, proud of her own identity, independent.
They happen to come across each other over a "sweet Zaffrani Pulao" (of all things : ). That leads to coffee, several meetings, roaming the streets of London. Sounds interesting?? Well.... to know more check out the movie.
- Sexy: a 8 year old girl, who is suffering from a terminal disease. The character is beautifully sketched and displays a maturity far beyond the years. The moments between Sexy and Buddha are worth memorising!!
- The delicate manner in which the May-December love story is treated and how certain bold concepts like sex and condoms have been dealt with aplomb.
- Great music..... Illyaraja has done a wonderful job here!! Kudos to him....
A must watch. Go ahead and invest your money on this.......... Don't hesitate!!
Gurantee Humari............. Kismat Tumhari.............. Chini Ki Kasam!! :D
P.S. - This post was due last Sunday, but due to certain disturbing circumstances had to delay it!! Thus such a late review!!