Now in case if you are wondering, what the number is about.... well.. that was my bib number when I ran for AIDS Charity at the Pune International Marathon.
2nd Dec, a rather cold morning I groggily woke up at 6:00 am after a night of partying to gear myself for the marathon. Had registered myself for the run the moment we had recieved word about it at work. Full of gusto, I woke up one of my colleagues who was in a rather inebriated state to back home last night. Called up a few others and we met Yerwada. From there on it was a chilly ride to Jangli Maharaj Road. The gathering point for us was in front of the MacDonald's there. So there we were, the entire team all ready to start off.... 8:30 am.... we start....
After jogging for a little more than 500 mts, I realised that I need to walk...simply cannot run the entire 4.5 kms... and so started a saga of walk and run.... and that's how we all reached the finishing line. Nothing much to write here really, except may be the cause.
The point is to show solidarity towards AIDS victim, to display a willingness to help them, to raise funds for their treatment and most important of all to make sure people know how to keep such stuff in check.
What is AIDS??
AIDS - Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome, is caused by the HIV (Human Immuno Virus). The virus attacks no particular part of the body rather the it attacks the Immune System, breaking it down and leaving the patient susceptible to any disease. You may be HIV +ve, but that doesn't mean you have AIDS. It means you are prone to AIDS now.
A few facts about AIDS:
- It doesn't spread by touching. So don't treat AIDS victims as outcasts.
- It can spread even through a spuriated syringe or blade... anything that can come in contact with the blood. So, keep a check on that.
- It can happen to anyone. So, be alert.... just the way you need to wear warm clothings in winter so not to leave yourself susceptible to the effects of winter...
There are loads but offhand that's all I can say.
How it spreads?
- Through spuriated objects, like a needle at the chemists, or the blade at the barber's.
- During pregnancy... from mom to child.
- Unprotected/irresponsible sexual intercourse.
How to control it?
- Please ensure the hygiene factor of any object like needle or blades which could have been used by someone else and thus be spuriated by their blood.
- Guys USE condoms. Whether you agree or not, but that's how most sexually transmitted diseases can be prevented. Not to mention it keeps unwanted pregnancy at bay and helps in family planning. Contraceptive pills or morning after pills are not the solution for they are known to have certain side effects on the lady in the long run. Btw, even they have expiration dates so please take care to ensure the quality before you use one.
- Be responsible towards your partner. Stay true and honest..... this helps in taking precautions as deemed fit.
Stay safe... stay happy... stay healthy...
Please do check out the following links and share your knowledge:
- AIDS on wiki.
For more information about the marathon check out their official website: Pune International Marathon
And now some pics from Sunday:
At starting point.......