Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Of moments, meetings and conversations with strangers during a journey!!

hmmmm..............
after months of work and fun in some distant land, guess its now time to rock my homeland. for the uninitiated, i am talking of Kolkata, my hometown (?). Yeah!! dats where i am r8 now...........
but then its not the euphoria of having touched down at my teen year city, dat's making me r8; its the journey dat brought me to Kolkata all the way from Pune, dat has compelled me to write an account on it. its regular, its mundane..... i mean there is nothing ineterst8ing about it except that its perhaps true for every other individual who travels long distances with complete strangers for company.
I started my journey, on the 19th of November evening aboard the Azad Hind Express, the journey slated to take around 34 hrs now. Long time, and i was all alone there, surrounded by strangers. What does one do? Had packed in a few books to give me company but was soon through with them, rushed through two editions of "India Today", the Monday print of "Times of India".... still boredom refused to grant me a moment of peace. As for my companions, notable where 3 or should i say 4. U see, I was accompanied by a couple with their 10 month old son, and a pretty lady, who happened to be a student at Pune. While a lil bit of chitchat was going on now and then, a proper conversation simply didn't seem to be the order of the day. While, the couple efectively had each other and their kid for their company, me and dat lady were left completely to our own devices to wage our individual war against boredom. it was a losing war, as we both realised as time flew by, plain ignorance of each other started giving way to shy smiles... an acknowledgment of a perfect understanding of the other person's state of mind. Still, brings one those smiles on my face, those very memories.
As time was flying by, suddenly i realised that only a few more, and the lady would be arriving at her destination. And thus, I prodded in the dark, after much consideration,(and I dare say after some calculation too), to engage this beautiful lady into a conversation. My prod was in the right direction, and thus ensued the most enjoyable hours of the journey. The couple too joined in with their anecdotes,as the discussion was going on about our college days.............. what to do, and essentially wot not to do...... ;)
Finally, with the parting moment coming close, I mustered the courage to ask for her number, to which she complied............... I wonder, whether I'll call her or for dat matter ever try to contact her in the future. But I did learn one thing from this journey....... the battle of boredom can seldom be fought alone...... u always need someone for company..... always.
and its such chance meetings, certain conversations with strangers, dat make long journeys too can be enjoyable!!
Looking forward to a similar return journey, in another few days time!!

No comments: